How to prevent pests from invading your home?The best method to reduce the chances of a pest infestation during spring is through prevention. According to the National Pest Management Association, an audit on your home’s perimeter will help determine if there are pests lurking around especially in spots that often harbour them such as debris, piles of leaves, rotted tree stumps, and abandoned tires. There are other pest control Myrtle Beach and prevention techniques that you can do in a single day to keep rodents and other bugs from invading your house.
Spring Projects To Prevent Pest Invasion
- Use silicone caulk to seal any crevices or cracks. Don’t forget to pay close attention to spots where utility pipes enter your home. Cockroaches, for example, can fit through a tiny crack.
- Seal possible entryways and screen your windows. You should also repair any tears or rips in the screens. Don’t forget to screen chimney openings and attic vents.
- Fix any loose mortar and change weatherstripping around the basement windows and foundation.
- Clean debris like leaves from the gutter to stop standing water from forming. Always remember that standing water creates the best breeding ground for pests like mosquitoes.
- Fix rotted roof shingles and broken fascia because termites and carpenter ants love deteriorating wood.
- Install proper landscaping around your house to avoid creating sites that harbour pests. Mulch must be placed at least 15 inches from your home’s foundation and don’t forget to trim the shrubs regularly.
- The downspouts, splash blocks, and gutters must direct water away from your home properly. Don’t forget to fix any broken or leaky AC units, water pipes, and faucets.
- The crawlspaces, attics, and basements should be dry and well ventilated.